November 7, 2011

Apples in the Fall

I love homemade applesauce. I love the smell of it cooking. I love the pretty color it is when it is canned. I love eating warm applesauce with a little cinnimon sugar on top...YUM!!!


Remember when I picked 180 pounds of apples? Well, we decided to make a bunch of them into homemade applesauce. My whole family helped make it. Even my 3 year old had her apron on and was helping the other kids cut the apples.

 
 
 Here are my kids cutting the apples into quarters. Because the apples had not been sprayed, some of them had worms. So, my kids job was to cut out the bad parts of the apples.

 Once they were cut, we threw them in a pot to cook.



 Then, we borrowed a Kitchen-aid Mill from a friend. Thank goodness for the mill. I don't know what we would have done without it! We were able to make applesauce so quickly with it.

 I just attached it to my Kitchen-aid and ran the soft apples through. My kids thought it was cool to watch.


Out came applesauce! Warm, yummy applesauce!


We bottled it and ended up with 22 quarts! The red apples we picked made this pretty pink color applesauce. We ended up with yellow applesauce from the green apples. I am so in love!!!

 



The best part of the day was when my husband created his own way of making applesauce. First, he picked out a fresh, red apple.  




Then he prepared himself mentally.

Ready? Set? Go!!!
Then he smashed the apple into a gazzillion pieces with his fist! Don't you love the apple flying through the air?



After he was done, this is what remaned of the apple.


Making applesauce is something my kids are not going to forget...espeically when their dad smashed the apple with his fist!


Homemade Applesauce {It makes cents!} (and a lot of fun!)

No comments: