NOTE: For this and other great recipes, visit my new blog:
This recipe is one of my FAVORITES! My family LOVES it! We serve it to company, and they rave about it. It is that good. And, it looks pretty, but is really easy to make! I have listed the ingredients, and how I substitute my long-term food storage into the recipe. I make mine with my easy wheat dough recipe, TVP taco, dehydrated peppers, and homemade salsa on the side.
- One pound bread dough or croissant rolls
- 1 pound ground beef and 1 packet of taco seasoning (1 1/4 cups Taco TVP and 1 1/4 cups water)
- 1 chopped onion (1 cup freeze dried onion and 1 cup water)
- Bell pepper (1/2 cup red and green pepper with 1 cup water)
- 3/4 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Freeze dried cheese would work, too)
- Beans (optionals)
- Sour cream (You can use THRIVE sour cream powder if you want)
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
3. Roll out bread dough until it is thin and in a rectangle. On a lightly greased pizza pan, or round baking stone, place the dough (or roll it out on pan). Divide dough into thirds, making a slight mark with knife down each third. Then, cut every 2 inches down each side to create your braids. (Like this.)
Enjoy! Please, leave a comment if you make it and let me know what you think!