September 5, 2011

BBQ Pasta Salad

NOTE: For this and other great recipes, visit my new blog:

EatWhatYouStore.com



On Mel's Kitchen Cafe, she posted a BBQ Macaroni Salad recipe last week. I loved the idea and thought I would try it out, but use my food storage ingredients instead of fresh. I substituted kielbasa with my beef TVP. And....drum roll....It was SO yummy! My boys had two helpings each. (Which should tell you it was good, because they can be picky.) We made a big pot for dinner. I'm excited to eat the leftovers tomorrow for lunch. This recipe is definitely one we will use over and over again. I can't wait to bring it on a picnic sometime.

If you want to see Mel's original recipe, click the link above. Here is what I did tonight:

  • 12 oz. bow tie pasta
  • 1/2 cup red and green bell peppers
  • 1/2 cup freeze dried celery
  • 1 1/2 cups Beef TVP
  • 1/2 cup carrot dices
  • 4 green onions from my garden
  • 2 tablespoons regular vinegar (because I didn't have any cider vinegar on hand)
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
  • 2/3 cup BBQ sauce
  • 1/2 cup peas would have been yummy in this, too
In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt, pasta, beef TVP, carrots, celery, and peppers and cook about 8-9 minutes. Drain everything in a colander. Then, rinse with cold water until cool. Place mixture into a large bowl.

Stir in the vinegar, chili powder and garlic. Let it sit for about 5 minutes so it absorbs the flavors. Then, mix in the mayo and BBQ sauce.

No comments: