January 26, 2010

Fabulous French Bread

NOTE: For this and other great recipes, visit my new blog:

EatWhatYouStore.com



Fabulous French Bread



This French bread is SO yummy! The recipe came from an old ward cookbook. Whenever I make this bread, my children love it so much, they devour it. The best part is, it is so easy to make! I make it at least once a week at our house. Before I got my Kitchen Aid Mixer this past Christmas, I mixed this bread by hand. It is easy to do by hand and is done in no time at all! The directions to do it by hand are also listed below.

These are the basic ingredients:
These are some optional ingredients.

 Egg Whites (Optional)
Sesame or Poppy Seeds (Optional)
For a tasty Italian bread: 1 Tbsp. Garlic and 1 Tbsp. Itailan Seasonings, or more to taste
NOTE: If you do not have SAF Instant Yeast, you can follow these directions. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 c. warm water and let stand for 10 minutes. Combine hot water with sugar, salt, oil, and 3 cups of flour. Stir well. Add yeast/water mixture and remaining 3 cups of flour. Don't knead. Then , skip to step number 6.
NOTE: If you do not have a bread mixer, you can follow these directions. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 c. warm water and let stand for 10 minutes. Combine hot water with sugar, salt, oil, and 3 cups of flour. Stir well with a wooden spoon. Add yeast and remaining 3 cups of flour. Don't knead. Then , skip to step number 6.

1. If you have SAF Instant Yeast, place all of the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.



2. Add 5 tsp. yeast. 2 1/4 tsp. is equal to 1 package of yeast. I like to add a little more yeast than it calls for.
(I love my Kitchen-aid!)


3. Mix all dry ingredients together.
Note: If you are making Italian bread, add the garlic and Italian seasonings here.
4. Add Hot water and oil.

5. Mix well.
***The dough will be very sticky, but don’t worry it will work out.



6. Let stand for 10 minutes after combining ingredients. Stir again.



 7. If doing it by hand, let stand for 10 mintues and stir 5 times all together. (Total of 50 minutes.)
If doing it in a bread mixer, let stand and stir 2 total times. (Total of 20 mintues.)


 8. Pour dough onto a lightly floured area.
9. Divide dough in thirds with a sharp knife.



10. Roll out into about a 9x12 rectangle. Then, roll up like a jelly roll. Seal the edges.



11. Place on a pan sprayed with oil.
12. Score the top of each 3-5 times. Spray oil inside of each grove to help it stay open during rising.

For a harder crust, you can brush with egg whites. Then, sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds if you desire. I like my crust soft, so I skip that step.

13. Your bread loaves should look something like this. My daughter was helping me make bread that day, so I just gave her one of the loaves to shape. She decided to make three small loaves from her one.

14. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes in a warm area. My house was cooler the day I made this, so I had them rise in the oven. I turned the oven on warm. I placed a pan of water under my loaves of bread. This helps so the crust does not dry out. Then, I had them rise for 30 minutes.


15. After it rises, bake at 350` for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown in color.

  
16. Remove from the oven and let stand for 3-5 minutes. Then, brush lightly with margarine or butter. The butter melts into the crush. It will make your bread really pretty and give it a shine.

You are done! Enjoy this yummy bread with honey, butter, or jam! Please, place a comment and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

montana said...

This is the best bread I have ever tasted!!! I am blessed in that I have a friend who freshly makes and brings it to my family regularly:) You must try it!!!